It is important that ministers get aware of healthy living. Lot of times, we fail to take care of our health and claim it only by faith. In the last few years, lots of ministers are dying prematurely. In one denomination, more than200 Pastors died in one year alone. In another denomination, over 400 Pastors also died in the space of 1½ years. We need faith and wisdom to maintain good health in ministry. Ministry is the toughest job in the whole world and without good health you will not be able to fulfill your assignment. Sad to know that stroke and cancer have ruined many ministers recently.
The bottom line is that ministers are not taking care of their health enough. While we believe God for divine healing and health, there is also the need for healthy living and lifestyles.
Health is Wealth – Phil. 2:26-27; II Kings 13:14
Ministers must take care of their health. It is possible to overwork and be sick unto death (II Tim. 4:20; Acts 9:37).
- Your health is the basis for your ministry.
- Ministry cannot flourish without good health.
- Once your health is gone, your ministry is gone too.
Why We Must Take Care of Our Bodies – I Cor. 6:13, 15-20; I Cor. 3:16-17
Our bodies are not evil; it is the only horse God has given each of us to ride in life. It’s the temple of the indwelling Holy Spirit.
- We are created in God’s image.
- This body is the only one we have
- Poor discipline is bad witness
- Bad health is costly.
- Our ministries demand good health.
- Our families deserve better.
- Poor health limit your usefulness
- God might give you a ministry in old age.
- Proper care keeps you pain-free.
Ministers must now be health conscious like never before. Christians get sick because:
- It is for God’s glory – John 9:1-3
- Because of unconfessed sin – I Cor. 11:28-32
- Violation of God’s natural laws – I Cor. 3:16-17; 6:19-20
- Ignorance of body functions – Hosea 4:6
- Lack of bodily exercise – I Tim. 4:8
- Arrow of the wicked – II Cor. 2:7
Health Challenges for Ministers
- Anger, wounds and hurt in the heart.
- Middle age crisis.
- Ulcers due to too much fasting
- High blood pressure – too much work/hereditary.
- Stroke – heart and cardiovascular diseases.
- Obesity – too much eating and lack of exercise.
- Spiritual attacks – arrow of the enemy.
- Ageing – failure to nurture health early.
- Cancer – mostly common in women.
- Generational disease or Gene.
It has been observed that these seven sicknesses or diseases have terminated the ministry and life of many gospel ministers.
How to Live Healthy in Ministry – Jer. 17:14
- Intensive prayers against sicknesses – Isaiah 53:4-5
- Pray over your body parts against diseases.
- Pray against spiritual arrows.
- Eat healthily – Breakfast of a prince, lunch of a king and dinner of a pauper.
- Fast regularly- it increases our life span
- Exercise at least twice a week. Walk briskly.
- Drink clean water daily.
Thomas Edison once said, “The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of diseases”.
- Water (clean, pure) – your body is about 70%water
- Sleep and rest – you need 7-8 hours’ sleep. Pay your sleep debt.
- Living food – living food is much better than dead food.
- Exercise – stagnant body is a breeding ground for diseases.
- Detoxification – There is toxic in our bodies and environment. You must detoxify.
- Nutritional supplements – you need good supplements to balance your food intake.
- Coping with stress – stress-out your stress lest it stress you out.
Prayers, fasting, healthy diet and proper exercises will bring healing and health to your bodies. The less you eat, the more you live. The more you eat dead foods, the less you live.